Monday, August 2, 2010

Desert Hideaway

I was at a party this past Thursday night and talked with friends that I'm getting to know better a little bit at a time.  You know how it is when you're getting to know someone...  you share with each other and slowly reveal yourself and your history.  The subject of Southern California came up a couple of times in our conversations since Josh and I lived there right after we got married for 3 1/2 years.  The conversations got me to thinking that...

I often reminisce of our time in San Diego since there were so many special qualities to being way out west.  The pacific ocean was 15 minutes away, we could be across the border in Mexico in just a half hour, the LA metropolis was 3 hours away on a good day, the mountains east were a gateway to the desert which was only an hour and a half away. 

I was telling my friends that my ideal living situation would be to live here in western Massachusetts mid-April through mid-January then spend the rest of the time in the desert somewhere in Southern California.  Perhaps out in Anza-Borrego or in Joshua Tree.

I really love the desert.  There is something so timeless, haunting, big, heightened and magical about the desert landscape.  Being surrounded by the desert gives me feelings like nothing else.  Possibility looms, openness abounds outside but mirrors itself within.

I'd like to share some of my favorite photographs taken by me during a weekend trip to Joshua Tree back in the spring of 2005.
The motel where we stayed... I highly recommend it.   Spin and Margie's Desert Hideaway



 Joshua Tree at twilight.  Magical.

I had to include the rock that looks like an eagle head, taken the next day in the bright sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment