Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wholesome Transformations: A hand designed commission


My friend Bi-sek has been interested in homegrown, healthy food for longer than I've known her. She's a talented organic gardener, cook, community organizer, nutritionist, health enthusiast, environmentalist and mother. I admire her and her work as she pushes herself as a woman and a professional. She is also the founder of the community garden that I am involved with called Raspberry Hill Community Garden.

Last year she commissioned me to design the above logo for a business she is developing. She wanted something hand drawn and painted in my colorful folk style. Since her business is about transforming oneself through nutrition, my inspiration for the drawing started with a seed blooming into a vibrant flower.  I choose the sunflower because not only is the plant beautiful, the seeds are nourishing. We decided to put some images of healthy vegetables and fruit in the corners of the composition.

Bi-sek and her daughter shared a gift this past winter with me and Kaz. They would come over to my house to play with Kaz and give me a little break from taking care of the baby so I could head over to my studio for an hour, two or three to work on this project. At this time it was important for me to start reclaiming my artistic self. This project helped me do that. Thank you, Bi-sek!

You can find out more about Bi-sek's work with nutrition at Wholesome Transformations.

2 comments:

  1. I love that sunflower at the center - it's so perfect. Do you know the work of Kristen Nicholas, a knitwear designer and artist in western Mass? She too loves sunflowers, also bright colors and folk-art inspired designs. I think you would love her work! Her blog is Getting Stitched on the Farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie. Also thanks for the link to Getting Stitched on the Farm. Her work and blog is beautiful! Hope you are well!

      Delete